Technical Field Officer – Ghana
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
About the Role:
East-West Seed Knowledge Transfer Foundation (EWS-KT) works hand in hand with farming communities in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Myanmar, Nigeria, the Philippines, Tanzania, and Uganda. In November 2022, we extended our operations to include Ghana.
To further expand our operations in Ghana, we are seeking to employ Technical Field Officers for an anticipated project. Technical Field Officers will focus on supporting our goal of sharing knowledge on improved fresh vegetable production practices with smallholder farmers.
By joining EWS-KT, you will become part of a dynamic team that is committed to making a difference in the lives of farmers and contributing to global food security.
- Identify villages and key farmers to work with
- Support key farmers to set up technical demonstration plots showcasing best production practices from land preparation through harvest
- Using demonstration farms as a hub of good production practices, organize short, practical training sessions for neighboring vegetable farmers on all subjects, including land preparation, seedling production, pest and disease management, and nutrient management
- Organize Field Days to show farmers, input dealers, and other stakeholders the benefits of using high-quality seed alongside improved production practices.
- Be the technical point of contact for vegetable production within the area of activities
- Provide technical support in 10 to 15 selected villages per year
- Provide regular technical support to ±20 key farmers per season, for a total of ±40 demonstration plots per year.
- Train ±1,000 farmers each year
- Organize one Field Day per village per growing season (approximately 25 per year)
The Technical Field Officer will be responsible for reaching targets and maintaining the quality of project activities within his/her area, under the guidance of the Team Lead. The Technical Field Officer will work closely with the Digital Media Specialist, M&E Data Analyst, and Market Linkages Coordinator.
- Degree in agriculture or horticulture from a recognized knowledge institution in Ghana
- Technical competence in all aspects of crop management
- Experience in technical training (farmer extension)
- Ability to analyze the costs and returns of the demonstration plots
- Ability to build trust in farming communities
- Good time management and organization skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license and motorcycle driving skills
- Willingness to travel and/or relocate
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in the local language
- English language proficiency
- Knowledge of local languages such as Frafra, Kusaal, and Hausa is a plus
- Knowledge of Google Workspace is a plus
At EWS-KT, we value diversity and aspire to reflect this in our workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, color, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, or belief.
To apply, please email your CV and a cover letter outlining your interest in the position to [email protected]
Due to the large number of applications we receive, only applicants who are shortlisted for further discussions will be contacted.