Junior Knowledge Transfer Specialist
Place of work: This position will support EWS-KT operations in Philippines.
About the Role
EWS-KT has an ambition to reach 1 million farmers globally over the next five years. By 2024 we will be training 300,000 farmers every year; 100,000 farmers in Africa, 100,000 farmers in India and 100,000 farmers in other Asian countries (every year). To put this challenge into perspective, that’s three times more than what we achieved in 2019; currently 100,000 smallholder farmers are exposed to best practices and practical field based training events every year.
East-West Seed Knowledge Transfer Foundation (EWS-KT) Philippines is seeking a Knowledge Transfer Specialist to support our goal of sharing knowledge on improved fresh vegetable production practices with smallholder farmers. This will be achieved through the efficient and effective transfer of off-season modern vegetable production technologies to farmers and would-be farmers through training and extension, project implementation, and regular individual farm-based follow-up and supervision that will enable them to produce safe and high-quality vegetables all year round.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Prepare and execute different farm activities such as farmers’ meeting, farmers’ field training, farmers’ field school and farmers’ field day.
- Assess production input needs, prepare a list of material inputs, acquire said inputs and ensure complete delivery to key farmers.
- Assist farmers in preparing farm plans and budgets.
Establish and maintain demonstration sites in selected areas of the project.
- Provide intensive supervision and monitoring to all key farmers involved in the project.
- Provide training materials and financial resources needed in the realization of the training.
- Report and document project development to be submitted to the immediate supervisor.
- Report progress of techno-demo farm implementation with the Senior Knowledge Transfer Specialist and the Knowledge Transfer Manager.
- Support promotional work for both the project and with the organization.
- Train farmers, extension workers and development facilitators in vegetable production.
- Collect production input loans from farmer-participants of projects with credit components.
- Prepare cost and return analyses for each of the assisted key farmers within the area of responsibility and present results of the same to the farmer and other project partners.
- Assist in other activities like San Rafael-based training and Farm Promotion Representative-led training and exposure trips within the bounds of project sites.
- Contribute and write articles for EWS-KT Philippines and EWS-KT’s media channels.
- Perform further duties and tasks when necessary or requested.
The knowledge transfer specialist will report to the senior knowledge transfer specialist. They will also work closely with the project coordinators, technical support hub of philippines, digital media coordinator and the KT finance and admin assistant. They will also work with knowledge transfer specialist from other countries on need basis.
- Preferably a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, with a major in Agronomy, Horticulture, Plant Breeding, Crop Protection, or Soil Science, or a Bachelor of Science in Agricultural Education or Extension.
- General and specialized knowledge and skills taught in courses of the above-named specialization, with application to vegetables.
- Experience in all aspects of vegetable production, including seed propagation, land preparation, soil and nutrient management, cultural practices, pest and disease management, harvest and post-harvest handling, marketing, and farm budgeting, record-keeping, and accounting.
- Experience in Actual supervision of farmers, guiding them from the seed-sowing stage to harvesting of lowland vegetable crops.
At EWS-KT, we value diversity and aspire to reflect this in its workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
The incumbent can expect a wide range of rewards and flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.
Due to limited resources and high volume of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Please send your CV to [email protected].